Friday, March 13, 2009

Kuji-In: Personal Projects Update

In the wake of my initiation into the Kuji-In and Kuji-Kiri (see the Tuesday, March 10, 2009 post below), I'm continuing with three personal projects. First, of course, is my progression through the nine aspects of the Kuji-In. I'm wrapping up RETSU right now, projecting another week or two spent with this aspect. Then I'm onto ZAI and then finishing up with ZEN.

As I do this, I have added the "cutting of the grid," cutting the Kuji-Kiri, to my daily practice. Now that I've been able to have someone skilled in the art show me how to begin doing this, I certainly don't want to lose any momentum; I want to build on it and take it to another level.

After I finish with my initial exploration of ZEN, I will move onto the Five Elements practice: Void, Wind, Water, Fire and Earth. And from there, I plan on empowering various symbols that I will then incorporate into my grid-cutting.

Somewhere along the way, I want to empower my mala, with a) the nine aspects and b) the five elements. Once I get through all of this -- this initial level of exploration -- my plan is to return to the nine aspects and the five elements with a higher level of empowerment.

Of course, I plan to continue cutting the grid all the while.

My second project is to come up with some explicit personal practice-rituals, perhaps involving some gathas and chanting and prayers. I've already begun this somewhat, but have yet to really kind of cement it or formalize it in a systematic way. I have three English translations of at least two Japanese Kuji manuals (I believe from the Ninpo Mykkyo Shugendo tradition), and I plan to incorporate some of their elements with some of the tpes of practices I've gained via my years of Zen experience.

Initially, I hope to develop a daily iteration of rituals, for use from Sunday through Friday, as well as a separate, more elaborate form, a "weekly service" type of thing, for use on Saturday. (I'm usually in the dojo on Sunday morning, so I don't usually make an extra hour available Sunday morning for a full-fledged Kuji service. But Saturday is my "free day" schedule-wise, and I can easily set aside a good hour or so for a more in-depth plunge into the Kuji waters.)

My third project involves the creation of a comprehensive Kuji practice manual, mostly just as a good learning aid for my own practice. If others would be interested, we could discuss sharing certain aspects of it. As a journalist by profession, I certainly want to make sure I respect the copyrights of authors whose work on the subject I have come across and otherwise gained access to, and which continue to guide and inspire me in my pursuit. Perhaps a good compromise would be for me to share a limited bibliography of recommended readings.

Well, as you can imagine, that's plenty to keep me busy, considering I have a demanding work load that regularly has me working at home some nights/weekends, along with my dojo training three times a week -- and my desire to start getting into regular yoga practice.

Hey, Bodhidharma is reputed to have said, "Life and death are important. Do not suffer them in vain." I intend not to.

Or as Sam Elliott's character in the movie Road House said, I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. ;-)

As always, readers of the Kuji Blog are invited to share their comments.

Until the next time,

May all beings be blessed.

-T.N.O.-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Would you mind expanding on the English translations you have on the kuji manuals you mentioned? Who are the translators, and where did you acquire them? Thank you.