Thursday, January 15, 2009

Another Kuji-In Benefit: Increased Martial Arts Sensitivity

In our last class at the dojo, earlier this week, I discovered first-hand another benefit of the Kuji-In training, and another example of how perfectly the Kuji-In works with training in the art of ninpo budo taijutsu.

During our sword training exercises, I had two clear and distinct moments where I could discern a notable improvement in my sensitivity to some of the energies involved. In both instances, right before the shift in my awareness, the instructor made a brief comment.

In the first instance, he discussed and illustrated the proper grip to use in holding the bokken or bokuto (the wooden practice sword), and as soon as I replicated the grip, the bokken suddenly seemed like just another extension of my body; more particularly, like an extension of my own body’s skeletal system. I was amazed.

In the second instance, the instructor provided a bit of insight about initiating the proper movement of the sword, suggesting (for the purposes of this particular exercise) to swing the sword in a manner almost like casting a fishing line. As soon as I executed this, I could immediately sense the energy of the bokken itself as it moved through the air. I quickly pointed this out to the rest of the class.

I realized I had put my upper body out a little too forward, thus relying too much on my upper body movement and that of my arms to execute the swing. But once I was shown the error of my way and properly executed the “fishing line throw” while keeping my body out of the way, I could feel the true energy of the bokken and the technique itself rise and present itself to me.

I’m sure I would have never discerned any of this without my practice with the Kuji-In. Now, granted, it took some suggestions from my instructor to prompt the shift in perceptions, so the Kuji-In itself was not solely responsible for the altered awareness. But I have been corrected in my techniques many times before, and never with such a noticeable shift in my perceptions. Thus, another illustration of how practicing the two disciplines together can augment one another.

I offer this to you for whatever it’s worth.

Keep going, keep sitting, keep practicing, keep training.

Namaste,

-The Ninja Onmyoji

No comments: